skip to content

Postgraduate Admissions


There are different funding deadlines, depending on what course you’re applying for and if you are a US citizen applying for a Gates Scholarship:


*Please note these deadlines are for applicants for courses starting in Michaelmas 2021, Lent 2022 and Easter 2022.


Please check the course directory to find out which deadline applies to you.

There are three ways to apply for University funding:

1. Automatically through the Postgraduate Applicant Portal

By ticking ‘I want to be considered for funding’ when applying through the Applicant Portal, you will automatically be considered for:

  • Most Cambridge Trust funds, including the Vice-Chancellor’s Awards
  • Harding Distinguished Postgraduate Scholarships
  • ESRC (where eligible)
  • EPSRC (where eligible)
  • STFC (where eligible)
  • Some department and College funds

2. Through the Applicant Portal with some additional information

Other funds are still applied for through the Applicant Portal but require either additional fields within the form to be completed or an additional application form to be uploaded:

Gates Cambridge Trust

Additional questions within the Applicant Portal (more information about applying to the Gates Cambridge Trust).

MRC You are required to specifically apply for the MRC DTP under ‘courses’ and to specify which projects you are applying for within the form. A list of projects can be found on the MRC DTP page.
NERC You are required to apply for a specific project, which you must list on funding section of the application form. A list of projects can be found on the NERC DTP page.
AHRC You are required to complete and upload an additional form. More information, including the form, can be found on the OOC DTP website. (Cambridge is part of a consortium with Oxford and the Open University; you are free to apply for admission to study at as many of the consortium institutions as you wish, but you must decide in advance which one you would like to apply to for DTP funding.)

Please note if you miss your relevant funding deadline, you cannot be considered for any of the funding opportunities above.

3. Through a separate form

Various other funds are administered separately and may require an additional form. A number of these are listed on the Student Funding Search but students are also advised to check the following websites:

  • Cambridge Trust: some of the Trust’s partners require a separate application form to be submitted directly to them but you must tick the funding box on the Application Portal form in order to be considered. The deadline for the form may be different to the course funding deadline.
  • Colleges
  • Departments

Other funded opportunities

From time to time the University receives studentship money for specific projects (usually from Research Councils), which are administered outside of the usual admissions process. These funded studentships are usually listed on the University jobs page but can also be found on the Funded Studentships page under Courses.

There are also other sources of funding outside the University available; please see the Loans and External Sources of Funding pages.

Once you’ve become a current student (usually doctoral, not Masters), there may be opportunities to supervise undergraduate students to gain teaching experience and a small additional income, though you should not depend on this when planning your finances. Some departments may offer Teaching or Research Assistantships, though these are rare.

Q. When will I hear?

The majority of funding is offered in March and April. However, some Research Councils (NERC and MRC) may offer as early as February and other funding offers (for example from the Cambridge Trust) may be made as late as July. If you have not heard by the end of July, you should assume you have not been successful in securing University funding.

Q. What are my chances?

See more detailed breakdown on our funding infographics for recent admissions cycles:

Q. How is funding allocated (when applied for through the Applicant Portal)?