skip to content

Postgraduate Study



What is a transcript?

A transcript is a list of all the courses you have taken (or are currently taking) during a programme of study, with the result you obtained, and sometimes the credit value of each course.

If you have completed your study, the transcript should also show your final award (eg Bachelor of Honours, First Class).

What you need to send and when

When completing your online application you will be asked to upload copies of transcripts and certificates for each degree you have studied for, or are currently studying for. You will not be able to submit your application without these.

If you are made an offer of admission you will be asked to upload a certified copy to the Self-Service portal, or an electronic version sent via a secure electronic transcript system. This enables us to verify their authenticity. 

If you need to apply for a visa to study in the UK, do not send us your only original as you may need to send this to UK Visas and Immigration. Please ensure you have sufficient originals or certified copies for this purpose.

Obtaining, translating and uploading transcripts

  • At the application stage, scanned originals or certified copies should be uploaded to the Applicant Portal. If you are currently studying, an interim or unofficial transcript will suffice. Should an offer be made, we will then require a copy of the final transcript to be provided.
  • You should request your transcripts from your institution before you begin your application, so that you have them ready to upload. The academic registry at your university will be able to produce a transcript of courses you have taken or are currently taking. It may take a number of days for them to process and send this to you and you may be charged for this service.
  • If your documents are not in English, you must also upload a full translation of each document, prepared by a registered translator. Do not translate the documents yourself.
  • Please do not write on any of your documents before you upload them. If you do, we will not accept them.
  • Applicants who are registered as a University of Cambridge student should obtain an unofficial transcript from their self-service page for current students. The downloaded transcript is digitally signed and cannot be uploaded directly to the self-service. Applicants will need to first print the transcript and scan it before being able to upload it.

Research proposal

Most courses that contain a substantial element of research require applicants to provide a research proposal. These are used as part of the selection process.

The length and format of the research proposal depends on the course you are applying for. You will be able to see specific guidance on this in the Applicant Portal when you are completing your application, or in the Course Directory. If you choose to apply for more than one course, you must upload a research proposal for each application you submit, tailored to the individual requirements for each course.

Written work

Some faculties and departments may ask you to provide written work so that they can make an assessment of your knowledge and the level at which you are working. You need to check the information for your course in the Course Directory or on the departmental website to see if this is required. If it is required you will be requested to provide it as part of your online application.

Do not send written work unless your course specifically asks for it; the department will not use it for assessing your application unless it is required.

GRE scores

Some departments will ask you for a Graduate Record Examination (GRE) test. Please note that only the courses listed below will require one. If your prospective course is not listed, you should not request a GRE score to be submitted to the University of Cambridge, as your department will not retain or process the certificate. There is a charge for taking the GRE test.

The following departments and courses may require you to provide a GRE test result:


Cambridge Judge Business School

When registering for the GRE test please use following relevant institution code:

  • 2433 U Cambridge Economics
  • 7020 U Cambridge Judge Bus Sch 

Further information on the GRE test can be found on the GRE website.

You should also check the application information on the department website for further instructions and the levels of GRE scores they require.

Please note that the Graduate Management Admission Test (GMAT) is not accepted by any courses.