skip to content

Postgraduate Study


A student visa is granted for study in the UK. The UK operates an immigration system underpinned by the principle of visa sponsorship. The sponsor for visa purposes is the educational institution where the student will study. The visa is issued for a particular course at the institution. The University will support an application for a student visa to study a full-time postgraduate course by issuing a Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies (CAS) once an offer has been confirmed.

For information on student visas, we advise you read the guidance on the International Students website to understand the requirements and cost before making your application to study. Students who will be studying on a part-time postgraduate degree should read the relevant immigration information to check the visa support that can be provided for their particular course.

If you already have UK immigration permission in another capacity, e.g. as a dependent, under a Youth Mobility scheme or based on ancestry, you may be able to study on that without needing to apply for a student visa. A status under the EU Settlement Scheme would also enable you to study. This will be checked as part of the admissions process and it should be noted that not all immigration categories allow study on all types of course.

It is your responsibility to identify whether you require a visa, and to understand and comply with the immigration requirements.

The Postgraduate Admissions Office is not able to advise you on visas and immigration. The International Student Office provides a visa advice service on a range of student-related immigration matters for applicants, students and their family members.