skip to content

Postgraduate Study


If the University of Cambridge is already sponsoring you under Student Visa, you'll be able to continue on to your new postgraduate course with your existing visa if all of the following apply:

  • your visa is valid (ie has not expired or been curtailed by the Home Office)
  • your permission expires after the start date of your new course
  • you fulfil the Student Visa academic progression requirements by having successfully completed the course for which your current visa was granted, or it is deemed ‘highly likely’ you will complete it successfully
  • you make a Student Visa application within six weeks of your course starting or before your current leave expires, whichever is earlier. You can make an application in the UK for leave to remain under Student Visa and will need to provide evidence of this to your College so your record can be updated. Alternatively you may prefer to apply for a new Student Visa from outside the UK if there is sufficient time between your current course finishing and your new course start date

If your permission expires more than 28 days before the start date of your new course, the Home Office requires you to apply outside the UK. If you apply in the UK, the Home Office will refuse your application.

If you have paid some or all of your fees to your College before you apply for your visa, the Postgraduate Admissions Office (PAO) can update this information on your CAS statement. To enable PAO to add this note, please ask your College to email them the following information:

  1. Total amount paid for University Composition Fee (exact figure required)
  2. Total amount paid for accommodation costs (exact figure required). Please note the Home Office only allows us to show a maximum payment of £1,334.00 Therefore, even if you pay more we cannot show this in your CAS.

Continuer Portal

This page is part of the portal for Continuing Students