skip to content

Postgraduate Study


If you're not from a majority English-speaking country, you may need to submit evidence that you meet the University’s English language requirement before you can be admitted to your course.

Who has to provide a language test certificate?

Whether or not you have to take a language test depends on a number of conditions, primarily related to your nationality and place of education. You can get an estimate by completing the fields below. Where the relevant circumstances described in your application are complex, we will make a final determination after you receive an offer of admission. 

Select the country of your nationality:

What tests are accepted?

We accept IELTS and TOEFL, including their home testing versions, IELTS Online and TOEFL iBT Home Edition. Some courses also accept C1 Advanced and C2 Proficiency. You can check the specific requirements of your course in the Course Directory.

Tests are only accepted if they have been taken in the two years before the start of your proposed course of study.

For more information on these tests, see What tests are accepted?

What score will I need?

The minimum score requirement will vary by course and can be checked here (or on your course page in the Course Directory):


It is not possible to combine scores from different language test certificates; you must meet the minimum requirements for all elements in the same sitting.

When to take the language test

There can sometimes be long waiting times for a TOEFL or IELTS language test place, so you should make arrangements to take a test as soon as possible and allow time for a retest, should one be required.

For the majority of courses where a language test is required, you do not have to provide the results of your language test at the point of application and you can submit your application for admission without them. However, the Master of Law (LLM) and Master of Corporate Law (MCL) do require you to submit your language test results with your application for admission.

In all cases where a language test is required, you will be asked to provide the test results if you are made an offer of admission and you cannot be admitted without a valid accepted language test certificate.

Providing your language test results

The test report results can be provided via the Applicant Portal before you submit your application. If you're made an offer of admission and you have not provided a test report (and one is required), you'll be asked to upload a valid test certificate via the Applicant Self-Service to meet the language condition of your offer.

We verify all results using online verification services. We're unable to process test reports that are posted to us directly from IELTS or TOEFL.

When providing test report results, please ensure the following information is included:


  • Test Report Form (TRF) number
  • The scores for each element
  • Date the test was taken


  • Registration number
  • Date of birth
  • The scores for each element
  • Date the test was taken

C1 Advanced and C2 Proficiency

  • Verification number
  • Session (test date)

Taking the IELTS or TOEFL at home

If you have been set a condition to provide an IELTS or TOEFL test certificate, you can take the test at a test centre or at home (subject to eligibility and technical requirements):

  • TOEFL iBT Home Edition: The online test is the same format and level as the one you would take at a test centre. If you take this test, please upload your certificate in the normal way.
  • IELTS Online: The online test is the same format and level as the one you would take at a test centre. Candidates should receive their test results within seven days of taking the test. Once you have received your test certificate, please upload a screenshot or scan of the certificate to the Applicant Self-Service so that we can verify the results online.

If you are not able or do not wish to take the above online tests, you should continue to check the availability of the TOEFL and IELTS test centres in your country. We recommend you check the following websites regularly for updates on language test centres.

Related Documents

Being an international student whose mother tongue is not English, I expected the social life to be tough, but it was not at all. I'm involved in MCR activities and my College's boat club and in term time there are parties, recitals and so many other events.

Amila, PhD in Engineering