skip to content

Postgraduate Study


If you need a bit of extra support while at the University, we have an extensive welfare system in place, and services available to help make your time at Cambridge easier.

If you have a Specific Learning Difficulty (SpLD), long-term health condition, mental health condition or disability, please see the information on our disabled students' page.

Students supporting students

Throughout the University and Colleges, there’s an extensive student-run welfare network. The University Students’ Union (CUSU) provides an independent, professional and confidential Advice Service, offering information, support and impartial advice by phone, by email or in person at the CUSU Office.

CUSU also runs campaigns and initiatives about issues surrounding mental health, sexual health and disabilities. As every student is a member of the Students’ Union, CUSU seeks to represent them all effectively.

In addition, every College students’ union has its own welfare officer or team that often includes a nurse, chaplain or counsellor.

Moving to Cambridge for postgraduate study can be difficult, especially if you have dependents. The Accommodation Service and Childcare Office can help answer any questions and try to help make the transition as smooth as possible.

Support at my College has helped me out a lot and the free Counselling Service that’s available is great too.

Ngee Derk, PhD in Education Research